CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Saga continues

I had my eye appt. yesterday to get glasses or contacts so that I can get my drivers license and what do you know.. the problem is far worse than I could have imagined.

I have a condition called "Keratoconus" It's a disease of the eye that causes the cornea to become thin and protrude. They say that when vision is no longer satisfactory with glasses or contact lenses (the hard rigid gas ones) surgery, usually a corneal transplant is recommended. Yikes!

I can't wear the soft contact lenses because the Dr. said that is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole, it just doesn't work. So right now I will just try glasses and then be tested every year to see how fast it progresses. My first question was "can I go blind?" He said not blind as in "darkness" but blind as in "you can't see anything in front of you" Yes!

It kind of took me off guard and when I got to my car I couldn't hold back the tears. I cried for a few minutes then toughened up and called Sean. He knew exactly what it was because SelectHealth just decided to cover corneal transplants for that condition.

Isn't that crazy? Here I thought I just needed glasses to drive. Nope!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're praying that this disease doesn't progress any further and you will remain fine until you are translated!!
Love you tons!

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am so sorry about your eyes! My gosh, who would thin kand almost a blessing to find out now!
Tell me more about what the girls are doing with the dancing?

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that really doesn't sound like fun at all.
I think you will look darling with glasses and contacts really aren't that bad. Except I have soft contacts, so I really don't know what kind of work goes into hard.
Hopefully things will look up for you soon.
We're thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so sad. Sorry to hear the news.

Rachel said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Hopefully it will be OK. And you will look super cute in glasses:)

The Newport beaches were super cute!!

Unknown said...

Oh my word Jess. That is scary. Hopefully it will go slow. Good thing there are such cute glasses out there now huh!?
Look at you keeping up on the insurance. Do you still go in for grievance?

Unknown said...

At least you found out now so the doctors can monitor you! :) Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes?