CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Postponed Memorial Day

Due to the RAINY and SOGGY weather that we had Memorial Day weekend (actually the whole month of May), our plans to visit my Dad's grave were put on hold for a while, but yesterday was the perfect day to go.  We arrived just as they finished mowing which means that our flowers would be safe and stay on the grave for a week.  I bought each of my kids a pinwheel to stick on the corners of the grave and Tayler and Rylee attached a note to theirs. 

This year my mom brought scrapbooks of my dad growing up and when they were married to show to my kids.  It was so sweet & special and they loved it so much.  I thought it was an awesome idea.
 


Grandma also bought the kids bubbles to play with while we were there. It was the perfect gift! They each had their own bottle and couldn't have been happier.



It is such a fun tradition to go each year.  I love it!   We had a wonderful day with my mom.  I sure love her!



The pinwheels just kept spinning.  It was fun to watch them.  At one point only one would spin at a time, and all of them took a turn one by one.  I told the kids that Grandpa was talking to each of them individually.  They thought that was awesome.  Then Jayson started singing "Praise to the Man" and Rylee said.. "you know the best part of that song is death cannot conquer."  So true Rylee, so true!  We are grateful for our knowledge that death cannot conquer us.  We WILL live together once again.


Playing with the bubbles..


 Tayler and Grandma were having a bubble war..
 The fountains were not on yesterday, but the grounds were still pretty as ever.  There is something so peaceful about that cemetery.  While we were sitting at the grave someone started to play the bagpipes. It was beautiful.  What is it about bagpipes that brings that feeling of peace? 
( yes, Jayson is wearing a boutonniere left over from a previous funeral.  A bit morbid I know, but he loved it. He told me that is what they were to weddings too).

After the cemetery we went to Old Navy for a while and then went to lunch.  It was a fabulous afternoon. 

Last night we took the kids to the duck park to play and feed the ducks.  I thought my camera was still in my purse, but sadly it wasn't so I didn't get any more pictures.

The kids were SO ready for bed when we got home.  I love days like that.

** p.s.  we found out today that TAYLER MADE the competition team!  10 girls made her team.  We are so excited for her.  She will do great.  Her best friend Jessica made the same team so it will be so fun to watch them together.  Way to go Tay and Jess!  **

8 comments:

CB said...

First!!!

I love the picture of you and your mom!

I think it is a really special time when you can remember those you love and make them real to your children. And it was a happy time in the Cemetary - that is good stuff!

Congratulations to Tayler for making her team - That is awesome!!

P.S. November 18th in Georgia?

Jenny Moore said...

Jess...I LOVE this tradition. Every Memorial Day I wish I could just blink and be there. I haven't been to Dad's grave since the May that they laid the headstone.

Congrats to Tayler!!! We are sooo proud of her...that is awesome!!!
Can't wait to give her a hug in person!!!!
Love you all!!!

anna said...

Jessica is so excited to be on Taylers team. She will love having her best friend on her soccer team. GO TEAM!!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

what a fun idea to go to the grave spend time talking about your dad, teaching your children and looking at scrap books! What Amazing mom you are! You sure are teaching them right. Your dad must have been great!

Way to go Tayler on making the team!!! Yippie!

Unknown said...

What a fun tradition! And...what great scrunch pictures.

:)

Katie & Jared said...

Looks like a beautiful day. I would have loved for Cayden to be there to look through the scrapbooks to learn more about who he is named after. What a great tradition you all have.

CONGRATS TAY!!! WE are so proud of you and hope to get out to watch you play!

Love you!
p.s. We are discussing coming for the 4th of July! It would be so FUN!!

Shantelle said...

Oh that sounded like a perfect visit to your dad's spot. You are such a great mom and daughter (and sister in law). Thank you for sharing that special day with me through the blog. I love you!!

Unknown said...

Woo, got a little choked up there. Congrats to Tayler! I am coming to town in July, wanna get together? I'd love to see you.