So if you are anything like me you may be overwhelmed at the thought of making a list of GOALS for the new year. I'll admit it, I make a list.. a long list at that (I have lots of things to improve in). Well it soon becomes very overwhelming, so much so that I actually stop doing anything at all. Well, in the shower today I came up with the idea to do a "monthly goal" Each month I will work on an area I need to improve in and focus on. I'll think of an area-of-improvement for the month and focus a lot on that specific topic. I may just scratch the surface each month, but I am going to give it a go. I will try to read a talk/scripture pertaining to that certain topic every week throughout the month to help gain a better understanding on how to improve.
This month I am choosing to work on COMPASSION. I'm thinking more about the small acts. Example, I am not the most sympathetic person when it comes to my kids getting hurt.. I mean 10 times a day of the same hangnail, scrape, bump, bruise, etc. etc... gets a little old, but I found that I really don't even acknowledge the "hurt" anymore. I am going to focus more on putting myself in the situation and try to show compassion and show them and others that I really do care. I remember my mom getting band aids and drawing smiley faces on them. For me, it amazingly made the hurt go away every time. A smile, a hug, a kind word will go a long way.
The reason I am putting it on my blog is so I can remember it and hold myself accountable.
**in other news.. the Saab is gonzo! Last night Sean decided to lay it to rest, with the airbags deployed. He is fine--luckily, but it looks like he just earned himself a new ride. In the mean time we have a super sweet Chevy Impala to get us around. Ah, the joys of life. Can I just say that I love, I mean LOVE-- USAA insurance. They are so amazing to work with. Don't worry, even with the accident, he still made it to Provo for the BYU game. Yep. He's a fan.
Mindy McKnight’s Affiliate / Coupon Codes
3 months ago








11 comments:
wow...did you write this post just for me?! I am totally with you on the "hurt" thing and really should show more compassion for the many, many times Carson comes to me with a new ache or pain...what a good idea....a lot of times focusing on things day by day and little by little is the best way to make improvements! Sorry about Sean's car, but that is good he wasn't hurt!
What a great idea.....and you got it all while showering!! Very impressed.
Couldn't we all use a little more compassion when it comes to our kids "hurts" and what nots. You're a great mom! Good luck.
And yes, YEAH for BYU! I hear it was a great game.
Great idea!! That is one area that I really need to work on too! Look forward to seeing you tomorrow!!
You are so compassionate!! I have to smile at this goal. I AM THE ONE THAT NEEDS IT!! Thank you for posting it. My kids need me to notice their hurts--feelings and bumps. I sure love you!!
Mom told me Sean got in an accident... crazy! Glad to hear it wasn't that serious if he still made it to the game.
Good luck on your goal- I think you are already amazing at it, so without changing at all you already succeed!
That's a very good idea...I think I'm going to have to try that!!
So so sorry about your car!! That bites!! You gotta know what Sean's priorities are though.....Go Jimmer! ;)
Good luck!
Glad Sean's ok. What happened?
You are such an awesome example to me! Wow seriously I NEEDED this! Love you!
Hi!
I would like to talk to you about an article I wrote that, being a parent, I think you would enjoy (on early childhood education). I'd love it if you could drop me an email quick so I can give you more details if you're interested or if you were interested in new content for your blog.
Emily
epatterson@primroseschools.com
I thought I commented on your blog but I'm losing it in my old age!
Your idea is awesome!
You are truly a compassionate person and I think we all need to take lessons from you!
Glad Sean is alright.
Sorry to hear about the car(s)...what a PAIN!
Love you lots!
I'm taking the route of monthly goals too, although I'm not nearly as good as you, focusing on virtuous things! I need more compassion too, especially w/ kiddies! I'm right there, 'just suck it up'!!!
Love the new blog design!
Post a Comment