CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Grateful Sunday

Today the theme at Church was SERVICE. It was the topic of every lesson and with everything that was said I thought to myself "this is totally for me, I really need to forget myself and serve those around me." I haven't had the easiest time of feeling accepted in our new ward. I'm not sure if it is because I am waiting for others to reach out to me and fellowship me, but today I realized more than ever that if I get out and serve I will grow to love those around me and feel a part of this new ward. When I left Church and was making lunch for the kids, I truly realized how grateful I was for the messages that I heard today. I need to change so many things and I am grateful to have that chance.

Sean and I also started a Book of Mormon challenge to read it in 99 days. Sean mapped out the chapters we need to read each night to finish in our 99 days. I am excited to start! I love to read the scriptures but have been as consistent as I should be.

The above picture is a gift from the Relief Society Presidency in our ward. The idea of it is to do SERVICE for those in our own household. When we do something nice we will leave the box in the place where the act of service was performed and then that person who received the service will in turn do it for someone else. Of course it's an old concept we have heard many times that definitely needs to take place in our home, especially during this time of year. I am excited to see what my little family comes up with.

5 comments:

Julie said...

You are always serving Jess, you are just that good! Hope it goes well!

Jenny Moore said...

You are a very service oriented person Jess, it's because you are such a giving person that you don't see it, so we'll tell you how wonderful you are!!! :)
You are great, don't sell yourself short.
Love ya

Joey and Nettifer said...

I have never met you but from reading your blog you do give a lot! Your ward doesn't know what it is missing with you. It will all come in time! You are my friend :)

CB said...

Service is definately needed year round but is great to remember this time of year when there are so many in need out there. But service in your own home is also SO important for building up families. I love the box idea - it's a good one!

Kurke and I started reading the BOM in 100 days a few months ago and I am sad to say I blew it but he is almost done. I am going to try again in January - Good for you guys with your 99 day challenge!!

Unknown said...

When we first moved up to Washington, I HATED our ward. No one was nice to me, no one talked to me, etc, etc. Then I realized that I needed to talk to people and then they would talk to me. That was NOT EASY for me, but I did it and it totally changed everything.

I think you'd be surprised by how much service you do in a day!

But you can always do more, right?

Love ya!